Sunday, March 24, 2013

Godspeed, Jason Molina (1973-2013).

Requiescat, Jason Molina.

Jason (founder/leader Songs: Ohia and Magnolia Electric Co) is an artist I'd not yet covered on TPoIT though a track or two of his did feature on the Unconventional Steve Albini set I posted a few years ago.

I don't own a lot of his records - only the truly devoted would be able to track them all down! - but the ones I do own are really good.  I can listen to Magnolia Electric Co's What Comes After The Blues LP on repeat over and over, and just get swept into the emotion and gutwrench.

My friend Henry Owings's eulogy-of-sorts is beautiful reading.

Musicians write about Jason here.  Steve Albini's thoughts (and a long thread at the Electrical Audio forum, for the studio where IMHO Jason's best albums were recorded, with Steve) here.
Again you’re swinging low
And you hit me below the belt
Alright since it’s a fair fight
I’d say it’s the best that I have felt
In a long long time
Every now and then it happens again
I can’t remember what comes first
Is it the hurt
Or knowing that it hurts
Is it the hurt
Or knowing that it hurts
Ever since I turned my life around
It still happens time to time
Don’t know what pain was yours
Or what pain was mine
What pain was yours
And what pain was mine
Will I have to be alright all of the time
No one has to be alright all of the time
Do I have to be alright all of the time
I thought I saw the light
I saw the light
"I Can Not Have Seen The Light" - Jason Molina/Magnolia Electric Co 

Requiescat and Godspeed, Jason.

No comments:

Post a Comment